AWGO Newsletters Added Online
Wish Granting Organization
Recent AWGO Newsletters: Check out info about scholarships for cancer survivors & siblings as well as info about donating your frequent flyer miles.
- Scholarships for Cancer Survivors and their Siblings
- Wigs for Cancer Patients
- Donating Your Frequent Flyer Miles
- Medical Air Travel – Valuable Resourcs for Children and their Families
- Prescription Assistance – Learn about Needy Medz and Rx Assist
The early 80’s brought about a new concept in charities, focusing on children with critical, chronic, life-threatening and terminal illnesses. The mission of these organizations was to grant the child’s wishes and dreams.
In 1990, Dr. Tom Dovel, a marketing professor at Wright State University in Dayton, Ohio and a board member of A Special wish foundation, Inc. a children’s wish granting organization based in Columbus, Ohio, devised a project for his marketing class to show his students how rewarding it can be to give of one’s self to others less fortunate.
In 1995 the Association of Wish Granting Organizations was formed to facilitate the flow of open and positive communications between the various wish and dream granting organizations and ultimately benefit the children. A Child’s Wish of Louisiana is a proud member of this assocation and stands behind it’s principals and guidelines.
Our qualifications for Membership in the Association of Wish Granting Organizations are:
- To establish and maintain the highest standards of the wish granting process for the individual and her / his family;
- To develop professional standards and ethical behaviors in all areas of program operations, fundraising and management;
- To foster among new and existing members cooperation and the sharing of ideas and information in an environment of mutual support and respect:
- To promote public trust in all communities through each member’s commitment to the standards set forth by the association.
Additional qualifications for membership are:
- Member Purpose Provides services in the granting of wishes or dreams to seriously, critically, chronically or terminally ill or injured individuals or individuals with life threatening medical conditions (the “Member Purpose;”)
- Non-Profit Corporation Be a non-profit corporation duly organized and in good standing under the laws of a state or territory of the United States of America, or other appropriate governmental jurisdiction;
- Tax Exempt Be a tax-exempt charitable organization under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, or other pertinent code, rule or regulation of the appropriate jurisdiction;
- Non-Discrimination Engage in all of its activities without regard to race, religion, political preference, ethnic, cultural or national origin, sex or similar basis;
- Integrity and Effectiveness Demonstrate administrative interity, program effectiveness, fund raising efficiency, financial responsibility and accountability to donors through compliance with all local, state and federal laws:
- Other Qualification Meet such other qualifications and requirements as the Association may require from time to time.
Members also agree to expend no more than 30% of their total annual expenditures on administration and fundraising costs thereby providing at least 70% of their total annual expenditures on programs and activities directly related to wishes and dreams.