Want to help make wishes come true for Louisiana children while enjoying a great night of fun and friendship? Please join us on Thursday, November 15th from 5 – 8 pm at The Rusty Nail at 1100 Constance Street in New Orleans for our first “Cheers for a Child’s Wish” fun night.
Each month during 2013 we will have a happy hour party at a different bar around New Orleans, with a percentage of the proceeds benefiting A Child’s Wish. So please join us in helping dreams come true for our local kids! Stay tuned for the list of which bars “Cheers for a Child’s Wish” will be at next!
A Child’s Wish of Louisiana is so proud that our own Lenny Alsfeld has been named to the City Business 2012 “Money Makers” List! Making this list means that Lenny not only does a great job helping his clients and building the local business climate, but also spends a great deal of time giving back to the communitywith organizations such as A Child’s Wish.
Congratulations Lenny from all of us here at A Child’s Wish!
We grant many wishes for children who want to visit Disney or meet a famous person. But not Yasmien!
This courageous young lady’s wish is to be a model. And while we can’t make her a model, we could certainly help her feel like one, if even for just one great day. A special thanks goes out to photographer Vicki Stanwycks who helped make this possible.
Browse Photos from Yasmien’s Photo Shoot:
Read more about Paul, a young man from metro New Orleans, who recently had his wish granted to spend a day with the New Orleans Saints in training camp. A special thanks goes out to Mr. and Mrs. Benson and the entire New Orleans Saints organization and players who helped make this incredible wish possible.
Read the story of young Amerion and the wonderful wish he had granted as he spent with the New Orleans Hornets – including Head Coach Monty Williams and many of the players. We want to extend a special “Thank You” to the entire Hornets organization for helping make this wish come true.
Kickball Association Members Come Through with Big Donation to Help Grant Children’s Wishes
The local club members to the World Adult Kickball Association met with Board members of A Child’s Wish of Louisiana to hand over a sizeable donation to underwrite Children’s wishes. Dave Stitcher, Director of the Monday night Crescent City League, and Becky Neeb, Director of the Wednesday night NOLA league, were both on hand to present the earnings from a weeklong tournament.
Their adoption of A Child’s Wish was based on the organizations 30 year old non-profits success in helping to make wishes come true. Future fundraisers are planned for next year.
The Board gratefully accepts the gift on behalf of our children.
A Special Thank You
A special THANKS to the World Adult Kickball Association (WAKA Kickball) leagues for their generous contributions to A Child’s Wish. To the Monday-LA-Crescent League, Dave Stitcher and the Wednesday-la bayou NOLA league, Becky Neeb, we truly appreciated your hard work and dedication to your leagues and including A Child’s Wish to be a part of it.
As the New Orleans Saints prepare to defend their Super Bowl Championship, New Orleans fans have already come up with our own version of a “repeat” chant.
Whether it’s “Two-Dat” or “Deux-Dat”, there is no better way to show your support for our Saints than by sporting a t-shirt from A Child’s Wish of Louisiana.
T-Shirts are just $25.00, and all proceeds go to fund wishes for critically ill children.
SUPPORT A CHILD’S WISH OF LOUISIANA – BUY YOUR “DEUX-DAT” T-SHIRTS HERE!
Wish Granting Organization
Recent AWGO Newsletters: Check out info about scholarships for cancer survivors & siblings as well as info about donating your frequent flyer miles.
- Scholarships for Cancer Survivors and their Siblings
- Wigs for Cancer Patients
- Donating Your Frequent Flyer Miles
- Medical Air Travel – Valuable Resourcs for Children and their Families
- Prescription Assistance – Learn about Needy Medz and Rx Assist
The early 80’s brought about a new concept in charities, focusing on children with critical, chronic, life-threatening and terminal illnesses. The mission of these organizations was to grant the child’s wishes and dreams.
In 1990, Dr. Tom Dovel, a marketing professor at Wright State University in Dayton, Ohio and a board member of A Special wish foundation, Inc. a children’s wish granting organization based in Columbus, Ohio, devised a project for his marketing class to show his students how rewarding it can be to give of one’s self to others less fortunate.
In 1995 the Association of Wish Granting Organizations was formed to facilitate the flow of open and positive communications between the various wish and dream granting organizations and ultimately benefit the children. A Child’s Wish of Louisiana is a proud member of this assocation and stands behind it’s principals and guidelines.
Our qualifications for Membership in the Association of Wish Granting Organizations are:
- To establish and maintain the highest standards of the wish granting process for the individual and her / his family;
- To develop professional standards and ethical behaviors in all areas of program operations, fundraising and management;
- To foster among new and existing members cooperation and the sharing of ideas and information in an environment of mutual support and respect:
- To promote public trust in all communities through each member’s commitment to the standards set forth by the association.
Additional qualifications for membership are:
- Member Purpose Provides services in the granting of wishes or dreams to seriously, critically, chronically or terminally ill or injured individuals or individuals with life threatening medical conditions (the “Member Purpose;”)
- Non-Profit Corporation Be a non-profit corporation duly organized and in good standing under the laws of a state or territory of the United States of America, or other appropriate governmental jurisdiction;
- Tax Exempt Be a tax-exempt charitable organization under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, or other pertinent code, rule or regulation of the appropriate jurisdiction;
- Non-Discrimination Engage in all of its activities without regard to race, religion, political preference, ethnic, cultural or national origin, sex or similar basis;
- Integrity and Effectiveness Demonstrate administrative interity, program effectiveness, fund raising efficiency, financial responsibility and accountability to donors through compliance with all local, state and federal laws:
- Other Qualification Meet such other qualifications and requirements as the Association may require from time to time.
Members also agree to expend no more than 30% of their total annual expenditures on administration and fundraising costs thereby providing at least 70% of their total annual expenditures on programs and activities directly related to wishes and dreams.
A great time was had by all at our 1st Annual Bowl-A-Thon, held at Colonial Lanes on Sunday November 2, 2008. We had 30 bowlers enoying themselves and winning door prizes as they bowled, as well as raising money to grant wishes for Louisiana Children. Come join us next year in May 2009 for our 2nd Annual event. If you have interest in particpating as a team or a company please email Tina@kmdcpa.net.
Our 2008 Bowl-A-Thon Winners:
Most Pledges: Terry Brouillette, 2nd Place – FBT Foxes
T-shirt Contest winners: First Light of New Orleans “Priceless”
1st Place Bowling Team: FBT Foxes, 2nd Place Bowling Team: Wishful Thinkers
Men 1st Place: David Kleindorf, 2nd Place: Doug Cardinal
Ladies 1st Place: Misty Ramil, 2nd Place: Tammy McDaniel
Photos from the 2008 Bowl-A-Thon[nggallery id=11]
Ready to do a little shopping to benefit A Child’s Wish? We are proud to paritcipate in Macy’s Charity Day Event where shoppers will have a 25% discount on any items purchased on that day! This event is closed to the public and you must have a ticket to attend.
WHAT DO I GET?
- 25% Savings Store Wide
- Private Shopping Times (closed to the public)
WHEN IS IT?
Wednesday, October 22, 2008 from 10am – 9pm
To celebrate Macy’s New Orleans Grand Opening of 2 new stores – Lakeside Shopping Center and The Esplanade with a Preview Shopping Day and Charity Benefit for the community, featuring local schools, churches and nonprofit organizations.
HOW ORGANIZATIONS BENEFIT
Each participating school, church or nonprofit organization will receive an allotment of Charity Day tickets to Macy’s Charity Day. On this special day the store will be closed to the public. Each organization will sell tickets for $5.00 and keep all of the contributions. The ticket allows the purchaser to be admitted to Macy’s Esplanade/Lakeside on this special preview-shopping day.
AN ALL DAY SHOPPING PASS WITH 25% DISCOUNT
Use this discount in-store, on Charity Day only at The Esplanade and/or Lakeside Shopping Center stores
Call us at 504-367-WISH or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.